Instructor: Tracy Walton
This is the first course in the More about Cancer Care and Massage Series. In this session Tracy Walton will explain the adjustments in pressure, joint movement, and even changes to the quality of touch that are necessary to work safely with clients with breast and prostate cancer. She will address how to approach interview questions in a thoughtful way, as this skill is necessary to determine when and whether to adapt massage techniques.
In this course you will learn:
• A five point scale to describe pressure to your clients, to physicians, and in your client notes
• How medical restrictions on activity might affect your massage plan
• Why advanced cancer requires significant adjustments in pressure
• How blood clot risk should figure into your massage therapy plan
You will leave this course with an overview of precautions, and a rich list of resources for further reading and study.
Note: This course series reinforces and expands upon some important concepts from the popular Massage in Cancer Care series. This series goes beyond general issues to focus on the two most common cancer types?breast and prostate?with vital information for the massage therapist. Each course series stands alone, and the first cancer series is not required for participation in this series.
You agree to these terms if you purchase this course:
1. You understand that this course offers reliable, yet limited education in massage therapy; therefore, this is not a certification program.
2. You understand that this course provides continuing education hours, and completion of this course does not imply certification, endorsement, or authorization of any sort for my practice or teaching of massage therapy; therefore, you agree to not represent yourself directly or by implication in marketing activities or any communications to clients or others that you are certified, endorsed, or authorized by the Benjamin Institute, or any other agency to practice or teach massage therapy on the basis of participation in this course.
3. You agree to conduct your practice of massage therapy in accordance with the ethical and legal guidelines of the organizations to which you belong or by which you are licensed or registered.
By purchasing this product, you verify your understanding of and agreement to these three statements and limitations.
Free course previews are only available for individual courses. Please choose a course below:
Access all site content starting at $29
Get 90-Day Access for $25
Get 90-Day Access
Continuing Education Hours
Foundations of Massage Therapy for Breast and Prostate Cancer: 1.5
Lymphedema Risk: A Hidden Massage Therapy Contraindication : 1.5
Breast Cancer and Massage Therapy: 1.5
How Breast Cancer Treatment Affects Massage Therapy: 1.5
Prostate Cancer, Treatment, and Massage Therapy: 1.5
Teaching Massage to Caregivers: The Touch, Caring, and Cancer Home Instruction Program: 1.5
TOTAL: 9 CE hours