Instructor: Tracy Walton
This is the second course in the More about Cancer Care and Massage Series. In this session Tracy Walton will explore Lymphedema?a chronic, disfiguring, and painful condition, which is a lifelong concern after certain cancer treatments. It can be triggered by incorrectly applied massage strokes, heat applications, and many other stimuli associated with massage.
In this course you will learn:
• Why lymphedema risk is as important to assess as lymphedema history before beginning any massage
• How an initial lymphedema episode becomes a chronic, permanent health problem
• How to adapt massage in order to avoid provoking a lymphedema episode
• Questions to ask every client with a cancer history?even decades later
Tracy shares vital information about lymphedema: who develops it, how it is triggered, and what it means for massage therapy.
Note: This course series reinforces and expands upon some important concepts from the popular Massage in Cancer Care series. This series goes beyond general issues to focus on the two most common cancer types?breast and prostate?with vital information for the massage therapist. Each course series stands alone, and the first cancer series is not required for participation in this series.
You agree to these terms if you purchase this course:
1. You understand that this course offers reliable, yet limited education in massage therapy; therefore, this is not a certification program.
2. You understand that this course provides continuing education hours, and completion of this course does not imply certification, endorsement, or authorization of any sort for my practice or teaching of massage therapy; therefore, you agree to not represent yourself directly or by implication in marketing activities or any communications to clients or others that you are certified, endorsed, or authorized by the Benjamin Institute, or any other agency to practice or teach massage therapy on the basis of participation in this course.
3. You agree to conduct your practice of massage therapy in accordance with the ethical and legal guidelines of the organizations to which you belong or by which you are licensed or registered.
By purchasing this product, you verify your understanding of and agreement to these three statements and limitations.
Free course previews are only available for individual courses. Please choose a course below:
Access all site content starting at $29
Continuing Education Hours
Foundations of Massage Therapy for Breast and Prostate Cancer: 1.5
Lymphedema Risk: A Hidden Massage Therapy Contraindication : 1.5
Breast Cancer and Massage Therapy: 1.5
How Breast Cancer Treatment Affects Massage Therapy: 1.5
Prostate Cancer, Treatment, and Massage Therapy: 1.5
Teaching Massage to Caregivers: The Touch, Caring, and Cancer Home Instruction Program: 1.5
TOTAL: 9 CE hours